The Zako is a soft swimbait designed by Bass Elite Series angler, Brett Hite. This softbait is turning many heads, so we thought we'd provide a complete Yamamoto Zako review.
- 4 inches
- Soft swimbait
- Can imitate several species of baitfish effectively
- Great bait as a trailer or rigged solo
Reasons to buy
- Bulky profile imitates Bluegill or Shad very effectively
- Many anglers love this bait as a chatterbait trailer, or a vibrating jig trailer
- A perfect bait if your waters have bigger, bulkier baitfish
- This bait as a trailer catches big bass!
- Segmented body and tail provides a lifelike falling action - which also looks incredible on a slow retrieve
- One of the most popular soft swimbaits on the shelves at the moment
Reasons not to buy
- These are pretty pricey baits - you have to pay for quality!
- Very soft baits - so durability may be an issue. The softness aids the elite action of these baits
- Doesn't have the greatest action on a jighead - very little movement
Reviews from our Readers
The Zako is quickly becoming the most popular bait to throw on the back of a chatterbait. The segmented body gives the bait a unique falling action, which also looks great as a trailer on a slow retrieve or twitch. The Zako can also be used effectively on a weightless Texas rig, or even a Carolina rig.
One thing to consider is the price and the durability of these baits. One bait won't last many fish, but you have to consider the elite action that you're paying for - these baits work.
About the brand
In 1983, Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits was formed, and has risen into arguably the most successful and well known soft plastic brand in the world. Gary Yamamoto himself has a complete obsession with fishing, and this is matched by his obsession with producing the highest of quality soft plastic fishing lures on the market today. Every Gary Yamamoto bait is inspected by hand, and what doesn't pass inspection, is recycled and re-used.
Gary Yamamoto baits are seen as the optimal soft plastics, largely because of their durability, and their irresistible action.
Some of the most successful Gary Yamamoto baits:
A few professionals who work with Gary Yamamoto:
- Brandon Card
- Boyd Duckett
- Brett Ehrler