The Chick Magnet was designed by tournament anglers, Any Morgan. It's flat sides and circuit-board lip contribute to a tight wobble action, but with enough thump to draw fish. It has proven to be a very effective crankbait, especially in tough fishing conditions.
- Runs 4 - 6 feet deep depending on retrieval and line diameter
- Flat sided crankbait with a tight wobble and solid thump
- Circuit-board style lip
Reasons to buy
- Tight wobble with solid thump is a unique combination. It is an action that gets reaction strike while still being fairly subtle
- As per the previous point, this is a great crankbait when fishing conditions are tough
- Comes through cover fairly well
- Solid set of color options, including favored Strike King classics
- Fairly small, compact profile is great for getting bites
Reasons not to buy
- One or two reports of the bait not running true. Very few cases of this though
Reviews from our Readers
the Strike King Chick Magnet has become extremely popular and it is easy to see why. As fishing pressure continues to rise, anglers need a way to cover water while maintaining an element of subtlety, and a well designed flat-sided crankbait allows you to do just that. The Chick Magnet runs with a tight wobble, but creates solid thump thanks to a circuit-board lip. The result is a presentation that can cover a lot of water while not being too intrusive, a great modern-day search bait!
Angler feedback for this bait is somewhat limited, but what people have put out is very positive overall.
How deep does the Strike King Chick Magnet Go?
The Strike King Chick Magnet dives down to the 4-6 foot range. The actual depth it dives will depend largely on the diameter of the line you are using. Lighter test line has a smaller diameter and will cause the crankbait to dive deeper. Heavier line with a thicker diameter will reduce the depth to which the bait dives. The type of line you use will also have an impact on this. Fluorocarbon sinks when it hits the water and will help the Chick Magnet Crankbait dive deeper as a result. Monofilament or braid will result in the bait running in a shallower range as these lines float by default.
Is the Strike King Chick Magnet Balsa?
Yes, the Strike King Chick Magnet is a hand-crafted, flat-sided balsa crankbait.
About the brand
Strike King is an ever-famous brand within the bass industry which began in 1966. They started out as single bladed spinnerbaits, and quickly grew into one of the most diverse and respected lure brands. Strike King is arguably the most successful bait brand in bass fishing, and continues to develop innovative lures with the help of some of the finest professionals the sport has to offer.
Some of Strike King's most famous soft baits:
A few professional who Strike King work with:
- Kevin VanDam
- Brian Latimer
- Greg Hackney