Designed by Kevin VanDam with the purpose of having a unique approach to drop shot fishing, the Half Shell is just one of those baits you must have in the boat if you're into Smallmouth. Read our Strike King Half Shell review.
- 3.5 inches
- Designed to sit horizontally in the water column
- Erratic, darting action with minimal movement of the rod tip
Reasons to buy
- The half shell is optimized for drop shot - which is most probably the most successful rig when it comes to bass fishing
- Bulky but lifelike profile that just seems to get plenty of bites
- Designed to stay horizontal in the water column - with crazy erratic action with small rod tip movements
- Strike King's Open Pour technology gives their baits some of the finest color blends - with several variations for different waters
- The Open Pour technology also gives the bait greater buoyancy and more natural movement
- This bait is a proven Smallmouth weapon
- Enhanced durability
- Anglers love this bait as a trailer as well
Reasons not to buy
- We haven't found any negative reviews on this bait - everyone seems to love it
- Some anglers have had issues with the softness of certain Strike King baits - however, this aids the suppleness of their movement
Reviews from our Readers
The Half Shell is another proven winner by Kevin VanDam when it comes to drop shot fishing. When the fishing gets tough, drop shot is often the go-to method and the Half Shell should be one of your first choices when selecting baits.
The drop shot rig is growing in popularity all the time and the baits being designed specifically for it are also improving at a rapid rate. The Half Shell is a great example of that. If you're into drop shot - you simply need a pack of these on your boat.
About the brand
Strike King is an ever-famous brand within the bass industry which began in 1966. They started out as single bladed spinnerbaits, and quickly grew into one of the most diverse and respected lure brands. Strike King is arguably the most successful bait brand in bass fishing, and continues to develop innovative lures with the help of some of the finest professionals the sport has to offer.
Some of Strike King's most famous soft baits:
A few professional who Strike King work with:
- Kevin VanDam
- Brian Latimer
- Greg Hackney