The Shimano SLX DC baitcasting reel is part of a very successful SLX series and provides anglers with a smooth, forgiving casting experience. Modern braking technology combined with the best casting reel attributes has led to a reel of world-class status.
- Available in 6.3:1, 7.2:1 and 8.2:1 gear ratios.
- 5 ball bearings
- Electronic Braking system
- 12lb max drag
Reasons to buy
- Hagane body is a metal body with seriously high rigidity - this eliminates body flexing
- The SLX reel has 4 preset settings on the brakes. The higher the number, the more assistance one gets from the braking system and the smaller the chance of getting a backlash.
- A pretty awesome skipping preset. This aids the skip cast! Great for reaching those overhangs
- This reel has a built a great reputation for having a backlash forgiveness and is said to be a great option for newcomers to the baitcasting scene
- Great ability to cast lures of all sizes, without having to worry about the threat of backlashes
- The S3D spool leads to reduced spool vibration, adding to overall smoothness in operation
- A dream to cast with due to exceptional smoothness and effective braking system
- Can be used in freshwater or saltwater environments with comfort
- Electronic braking system makes a satisfying sound during the cast, which isn't a huge benefit, but can be nice during the long hours
- Many users say this is a low price for the performance it provides
- The SLX baitcasting rod combines really nicely with the whole SLX reel series
Reasons not to buy
- 12 lbs max drag is a problem to some people, as much bigger fish will be tougher to handle. However, this drag should handle all bass with comfort
- Some users have had a problem with the price of the reel, which is definitely something to look at
- The original SLX is more affordable, just without the electronic braking system
Reviews from our Readers
The Shimano SLX DC as well as the whole SLX series has become one of Shimano's most successful series. The SLX DC combines the latest in braking technology with classic smoothness of the best casting reels to bring a reel of world class status, which can be used by newcomers, or anglers of a high level.
The braking system on this reel is incredible, there is no other way to say it! The four preset settings give anglers of all skill levels a braking setup that will suit their needs. If you are new to using baitcasters, are throwing light lures or are fishing into heavy wind, crank the number up to 3 or 4 and enjoy the extra backlash protection. Those looking for a more free spool can turn the settings down to 1 or 2 and cast this reel an absolute mile.
Personally, this reel changed the game for me in terms of being able to skip cast. Turning the reel's setting up to 4 gave me the confidence to practice skipping without fear of blowing up a spool of fluorocarbon. It allowed me to build up confidence in this technique, something I have not managed to do with any other baitcaster reel!
About the brand
Shimano is arguably the biggest and most respected name in fishing. They are responsible for producing some of the most ground-breaking tackle ever seen, and they continue to lead the market in all forms of fishing.
Shimano has taken a key interest in bass fishing, and have developed the finest baitcasting reels on today's shelves. Many other brands constantly look to Shimano for ideas, as they seldom put a foot wrong.
You simply cannot go wrong with a piece of Shimano gear.
Professionals who work with Shimano:
- Keith Combs
- Brett Preuett
- Bernie Shultz